Hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day weekend! M & I spent a few days with my sweet fam in New York to celebrate my Gma’s birthday and now we are back in Dallas prepping for our new furchild to come home 🙂
This post has been a long time coming. To those of you who are newer here, I’ve been slowly trying to switch my beauty products over to clean ones and it has been quite the extensive hunt trying to find ones that perform well. Like a literal marathon (thank goodness for amazing return policies. I feel like I’ve finally found products that are actually fantastic so I’m really excited to share them with you here! As a little refresher to everyone who has been following along with my clean beauty hunt, I’ve been looking for products that:
- work as well as conventional beauty products
- are organic, have clean ingredients (aka no chemicals, silicons, etc), and are eco-friendly
- provide nourishment and health benefits to the skin
We don’t really think of our skin when we think about the internal makeup of our bodies, but our skin is actually the largest organ of the human body and it soaks up a great deal of what we feed it. 80% to be exact. As I started learning more and more about the importance of using safe ingredients on my skin, it really made me want to begin transitioning my makeup bag over to products that are healthy for my body as a whole. As I looked a little closer at the products I have been using, I discovered that many of the powders, foundations, and shadows I have been rubbing into my skin are chalked full of chemicals and toxins…..and truthfully, I don’t quite understand why there is so little awareness around this topic or how the FDA can possibly approve of these products. I’ve always been hyper-aware of what I was putting into my body, but never thought much about what I was putting on it, and I am so glad to be making this change.
So here we are. If you’re interested in switching over to clean beauty products, are passionate about the environment, love animals, or just love really good quality makeup, this post is for you!
As I’ve been trying out green beauty products, I’ve been hoping to find a brand that does everything well. I want to be able to find my go-to eyeshadow, mascara, blush, and lipstick all in the same place. When I found myself at the 100% Pure website I sort of thought to myself well this looks too good to be true. The packaging is gorgeous (I care about these silly things), the colors are beautiful, and the makeup itself is pigmented with…..fruit??? I can read every ingredient on my makeup bottles now and know exactly what they mean. Their brand motto is “better to wear than not to wear” and it really is true. This makeup feeds your skin while you’re wearing it and I have noticed a difference in skin hydration as well as my eyelash growth because of the nourishing things I’m putting on my face.
I’m splitting my finds into a few different posts because I want to give lots of details on each product and today we are starting with eyes and lips. So sit back and relax as I introduce you to my one stop shop for makeup that works like Urban Decay and is made with food (literally).
- Fruit Pigmented Ultra Lengthening Mascara in Black Tea – Lemme tell you right now, when you’re paying $26 for a mascara it better be real good, am I right? Mascara has been the hardest clean beauty product to find for me so far because I like pretty dramatic lashes. I prefer a look that lengthens my lashes rather than making them fuller, and in clean beauty, it’s hard to find a formula that elongates and separates. This mascara performs beautifully and is made with black tea, blackberries, and cocoa, so as an added bonus it smells incredible when you’re using/wearing it. 100% Pure makes a Dark Chocolate Mascara as well which smells incredible, but I generally prefer a black color on my lashes. With this mascara, I coat my upper lashes and lower lashes 3 times and give them each coat a few seconds to dry and set. ***Note: This mascara is not waterproof. If you are looking for fuller lashes that can withstand some tears, I recommend the Fruit Pigmented Maracuja Oil Mascara in Black Tea which is gorgeous and fills out the lashes, but it is just not quite as lengthening as I prefer.
- Creamy Long Last Liner in Dark Cacao – I’m not sure if I’ve ever loved a liner before even in conventional beauty. I find them to be pretty uncomfortable to put on and have trouble getting good control over the pencil. Ironically, this clean eyeliner is the best one I’ve ever used. It goes on so smoothly, looks very natural, and does not irritate my eyes at all. ***If you are looking for a waterproof liner, I recommend the Long Last Liquid Liner which performs beautifully, but is a little too bold for me. I prefer a natural, “barely there” kinda of thing most of the time, but for an evening out or a hollywood glam vibe, this stuff is seriously beautiful.
- Fruit Pigmented Lip Glaze in Cherry – So when I read lip glaze, I assumed it was going to be a more sheer coverage lip like the Ilia Lip Conditioners (which I love). These are actually totally different from those and I might even like them better?! The pigmentation on these is incredible, and I actually find their coverage to be pretty comparable to wearing a lipstick. This product is super buildable and because of that, its definitely the most multipurpose lip product that I own. My favorite way to wear it is with a layer of chapstick underneath and a sheer coat of color, but I could also wear this as a bold red lipstick for a fancy night out. Also, because it’s a bright color, it stains my lips which makes it super long wearing. I am buying Pomegranate next and I highly, highly recommend adding one of these to your makeup collection!
- Fruit Pigmented Pretty Naked Palette I – Being someone who prefers a pretty natural makeup look, I wanted to start my collection with some really neutral eyeshadows for every day wear. This palette includes blush, highlight, and 3 different eye shadow shades which both gave me the opportunity to try some other 100% Pure products and allows my makeup routine to be a no brainer so it was definitely a win for me. These colors are soft, sweet, and most importantly, the pigmentation is beautiful! I find that in really soft natural colors that this is kind of a rarity, but these colors go on smoothly and show up beautifully. ***I recommend grabbing one of the 100% Pure Primers to put on your eyes so that the colors will pop and stay on all day.
Yay! I hope this helps those of you who are wanting to make the switch. I’ll see you guys with a couple more posts on foundations, palettes, primers, and brows in the next week as well. I’ve tried a few different foundations from 100% Pure and I’ll be doing a little review of those to help navigate the decision making on those as well. Ordering foundation online is kinda tricky, but the good news is that this brand will take anything back within 30 days so you can try your makeup with no risk!
I had a couple requests for a makeup tutorial after my Ilia pew more products and I will work on getting one of those up! Hope this helps you navigate the natural beauty world a little bit. See you guys tomorrow 🙂